It All Began

DANCE while you can...."I will not stand to the side and allow the MUSIC in
my HEART to fadeaway and die.
I will DANCE to my own LIFE SONG."

Sunday, June 3, 2012

the seventies and me

Embroidery on denim was HOT in the '70's. I was right in the middle of the frenzy, my hands busy working the needle and the rainbow of floss onto anything denim I could lay my hands on.

I browsed online this morning and found some cool pieces for sale ranging from $90 - $385.00. WOW!

I have no clue what happened to my pieces but I remember them very well. A denim shirt with a big Holly Hobbie on the back and Winnie the Pooh on the front was a favorite.
I even won a contest once for a pair of "hip hugger" jeans w/ a train across the butt :).

The '70's held a plethera (an overabundance) of life for me.

I turned 10 in November of 1970. I crocheted, embroidered, played solitaire and made gum wrapper chains.


By '74 I was "hot" in my daisy dukes, bikinis and "crop tops". My life was music, boys, purple, isolated, beachy, boys, solitaire. I was awash in hormones. My body was perfect, my libido was strong, my emotional health and decision making skills were sorely lacking.



There was little balance or normalcy in my life. My parents were long divorced and each was neck deep in their own perpetual stages of crisis.
My memories are faded and what remains is the alcohol, sexuality, assault, deception, anger and fear all around me.

The little girl thrown into the adult world had been too long struggling to survive. By the 1970's I was already damaged goods.






"Keep your head down and your eyes closed. What you can't see can't hurt you."









1977, I was pregnant.
1978 I was a wife and mom...

I don't remember most of the music of the '80's. I was BUSY! By 1987 I had 5 children, I was a pastors wife and lived a VERY sheltered but safe life. SAFE was all I cared about.

From the 70's I remember the Jackson's, the Carpenters, the Osmonds & the Partridge Family.
I loved Ray Stevens, Jerry Jeff Walker, Carly Simon and Barbra Streisand. I listened to McArthur's Park by Richard Harrison. I remember the Beatles, Chicago, the Eagles.....  at my peak in 1975 I loved everything!
Reading "The Top 100 Songs of 1975" I know all but 3!

"The seventies and me" lived hard, loved often, hid, ran and survived.
Not exactly the way I'd choose to live my teens but I can't go back....

I threw away so much of my life in the '70's. I had no clue when I left my denim behind that one day it would be worth hundreds. No clue that the Love I rejected would one day come back and restore my youth. No clue I was making forever choices.

I've tried, for years, to forget that much of that decade even happened. But "the seventies and me" are finally making peace with one another. And this is good :).

 

Just for fun leave the name of your favorite song from the 70's in the comment box. We'll all sing together!

No comments:

Post a Comment