It All Began

DANCE while you can...."I will not stand to the side and allow the MUSIC in
my HEART to fadeaway and die.
I will DANCE to my own LIFE SONG."

Monday, August 6, 2012

Souvenirs

"I close my eyes and go back in time
I can see you smiling, you're so alive
I close my eyes and go back in time
You were just a child and, and so was I
We were so young
We had no fear
We were so young
We had no idea
That nothing lasts forever"
SOUVENIRS switchfoot
http://youtu.be/M8n-rKCSQ0A



I keep my souvenirs in a tiny box tucked in the back of my mind. A deck of cards, a gum wrapper chain and green daisies on a twin bed.
Scattered around are bits & pieces of broken shells, bits & pieces of a young girl lost.
I can see her smile and feel her dance. I keep them locked deep inside my heart.
She has been in hiding for so long that sometimes I wonder if she's merely a dream.

I know her best at the water where I feel her as an ache and as a fire. 
Her song rises with the sound of the waves and she ever moves under my feet like the shifting of the sand. Impossible to capture or to hold.
This little box of souvenirs is all that remains...and often I wonder 'was she even real?'

 A treasure can be something hidden and found that you never knew was there.
One day unknown and the next cradled like gold in your hands.
So are the memories that you held. Ever present in your life and deeply hidden from mine. Souvenirs (reminders) to you, treasures now to me.

I carry them very close. Private, cherished and hidden away.
I loved it when you would take them out, and your voice as you recounted them one by one. You would always ask, "don't you remember that?" and I would slowly shake my head no.
"Tell me again", I smiled.


My little box has grown much larger. Memories of long ago mixed with yesterday. A song, a smile, a giggle, a touch. These I remember and I love each so much.


My souvenirs...

No comments:

Post a Comment