It All Began

DANCE while you can...."I will not stand to the side and allow the MUSIC in
my HEART to fadeaway and die.
I will DANCE to my own LIFE SONG."

Thursday, October 6, 2011

In which I am 14 again...

In which I learned something new.
Did you know that every chapter in Winnie-the-Pooh books start with "In which"??
I surely did not.

I found this little treasure Monday on one of my favorite blogs: My Own Little Corner Of The World.

It is written by 13 and a half year old Abbie. She is passionate about "writing, singing, nail polish, reading, photography and Jesus Christ." She loves music and today she was debating "that argument of live in the moment vs. capture the moment". She's decided that "in the life of a photographer, both get an equal amount of attention."

One of my personal favorites from today's blog, "i pulled this little gem of a dress out of my closet today. it was given to me by a friend who hated it. um. what's not to love?"



I agree Abbie. What's not to love about a 13 and a half year old girl in a precious plaid dress, walking through the leaves who is passionate about "writing, singing, nail polish, reading, photography and Jesus Christ."

Add her to you blogs to follow @ ivegotjoylikeafountain.blogspot.com



Reading Abbie and her precious world of baking snickerdoodles, nail polish and Switch Foot is such a stark contrast to where I was at her age.

And now I am a 50 year old woman who's been thrown back 36 years to the age of 14 and a half.
I've been stuck there for well over a year, trying to relive those lost days and find my lost memories while at the same time trying to evaluate why I was soooo very different from Abbie.


At 14 and a half I was already very into boys. My body was developing and my hormones were racing.


At 14 and a half I had already been sexually assaulted, been through the 4 divorces of my parents and was just inches away from losing my virginity.


At 14 and a half I did not wear cute, knee length plaid dresses. I wore daisy duke shorts, halters and bikini's.



I know that a year in the life of an adolescent is a lifetime but somehow I know that in a year Abbie is not going to transform into anything like the girl I was at her age.

I don't know what the next year is going to be like for her. BUT, I am certain that her strong faith, family and core belief system are going to protect her from the ravages that those of us without strong faith, family and core belief systems had to endure.
And I am so blessed for her.
A little girl should get to be a little girl.



I thought we'd share some of Abbie's favorite group "Switchfoot".
I'll be honest, listening to this Christian rock band she doesn't seem so "little girl" as I thought and I had a hard time finding one that seemed worthy of our time. They don't write music like they used too.
But who am I to judge? No one was wild about our generations music and I know I wasn't thrilled about the things my kids listened too. Some things never change, and parents opinions of their kids music is one of them ")



But I do like this song a lot! The comparison of life to the weather is one I can identify with as well as having something like "stars" to bring life back into focus. When I lose my focus I usually head for the water, listen to a birds song, watch them play in my yard or bask in the colors of dusk. These bring that calm rest back into my troubled soul.

After my trip this past week and the instant calm I found in 10 long, slow sips from a beer can, I knew I could easily give myself over to such rest. But I'm smart enough to know that it only lasts a short time. I will need more sips, more cans in order to maintain the escape. I'm thankful that I never drank early in life. Now that I'm older and wiser I know that just like a stone rolling down a hill, once you start you can't just put your hand out and say "stop". 

So I'm measuring my beers by the weeks and not the days.
BUT the beauty of nature all around me is free and there are no strings attached ") elle



"Stars" switchfoot
http://youtu.be/Tv-5snutHG0

"Maybe I've been the problem,
  Maybe I'm the one to blame
  But even when I turn it off and blame myself,
  The outcome feels the same
  I've been thinkin' maybe I've been partly cloudy,
  Maybe I'm the chance of rain
  Maybe I'm overcast, and
  Maybe all my lucks washed down the drain


  I've been thinking 'bout everyone, 
  Everyone you look so lonely


  But when I look at the stars,
  When I look at the stars,
  When I look at the stars I see someone else


  When I look at the stars,
  The stars, I feel like myself


  Stars lookin' at our planet
  Watching entropy and pain
  And maybe start to wonder
  How the chaos in our lives could pass as sane
  I've been thinking 'bout the meaning of resistance,
  Of a hope beyond my own
  And suddenly the infinite and
  Penitent begin to look like home


  I've been thinking about everyone,
  Everyone you look so empty


  But when I look at the stars,
  When I look at the stars,
  When I look at the stars I see someone else


  When I look a the stars, the stars,
  I feel like myself"









No comments:

Post a Comment